Sunday, May 16, 2010

Problem Solving

I, like others will continue working on my goal of helping students become better problem solvers. Now my main thrust is to find more of those questions that make a good Exemplar type question. I have been disappointed with many of the questions I've tried or maybe in my choosing of the questions ("What was I thinking?") With such varying abilities in class, it's like I'm Goldilocks, where some questions are too easy, some are too hard, and only a few are just right (challenging enough for many students). I really love listening to their ideas when I hit on a good question. After sharing ideas and thinking, I've had them continue/rewrite/extend their own thinking/explanations, so each student can have some success and practice with the problem.
I will continue to use the Math Exemplars and a few other sources I've tried, but if people have good sources I could look through during the summer, I would love to see them.
Any interest in buying the Science Exemplars?

No comments:

Post a Comment